Saturday 13 November 2010

"The world is all perception anyway" - sounds familiar?

This line comes from a short marketing book - "22 Immutable Laws of Marketing" and in full it reads: 
"Keep in mind that the world is all perception anyway, and the only thing that counts in marketing is the customer's perception"
 There must be something in this sentence if we agree with this genius who said:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one"
 For me at this particular time it is something that helps me stop worrying about any of my marketing projects. I worry, because in the back of my mind some pressure to make money (to free myself from full time work and be independent from one person telling me what to do) seems to creep in from time to time.

The key (perhaps - since I've never produced anything yet) is to create something of value and test my worries within the advertising copy itself, by acknowledging certain points that may turn potential buyer off. According to the book, candor is usually well received by people. I can see it in one to one encounters with other people, especially when an argument is brewing. In a potentially explosive situation, it's better to give the other person some space by agreeing to own weaknesses. 

There's another great book, not a marketing book, but one that speaks about interpersonal relations. It was written in 1934 and is as valid today as it was then: Dale Carnegie's - "How to win friends and influence people"

That's it for now, I've emptied my brains

No comments:

Post a Comment